Wednesday 11 April 2007

A lot has happened over the last few weeks. Most significant perhaps is the fact that I turned 40! Pete and John had arranged a surprise - a meal out at the Savoy followed by a show - Stomp - with Pete, Michael, Jess, John and Daphne. Thanks everyone for making it so special!
My own 'treat' had been to book a family holiday on Holy Island, Northumbria for a week's break. It's one of my favourite places to visit. Many people go to Holy Island on retreat, thousands of others flock there when the tide is out to see the sights (Holy Island is attached to the mainland by causeway, cut off twice a day by the tide). I really enjoy staying there, the island is so different when the tide is in and the place becomes an island, and although I've not been on 'retreat' I always gain so much from being there and taking time to ponder on the spiritual heritage of the place. One of the highlights of this visit was taking part in a pilgrimage walk across the causeway on Palm Sunday with St Mary's Church. There were only 5 of us who took part so just as well Michael and I joined in really, and we felt most welcome by the local church. It was quite an experience being welcomed onto the island by a group of Christians (on retreat) who hadn't done the walk but gathered to worship and greet us. I wonder if Cuthbert had such a welcome party when he arrived?

1 comment:

John Davies said...

Thank you for your 'thank you' card which arrived today. Nice to be part of a good surprise. I was out with Gareth on Saturday night and he remembers Pete organising a surprise on your 21st, in Rossini Street ... must admit I couldn't remember, maybe I wasn't there ... but there's a pattern emerging ...